Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about the Tech Data Cyber Range? Hopefully you will find your answers here.
Tech Data opened the first-of-its-kind cyber range in distribution in November 2019. The cyber range is an immersive learning environment designed to simulate real-world situations that can be used to prevent, detect or respond to known or simulated cyber threats.
The Tech Data Cyber Range serves three core purposes: train, demonstrate and engage.
- Train and educate using multiple forms of training sources of on-premise and cloud-based learning courses
- The Tech Data Cyber Range offers multiple forms of training designed for those new to cybersecurity and for those with more advanced skills. Courses will be available both on-site at the Cyber Range and delivered remotely via cloud-based training methods.
- Demonstrate solutions using the best technology, proven processes, and most advanced techniques
- As a leading global solutions aggregator, Tech Data provides our partner community with access to the most advanced cybersecurity technology available on the market through our partnerships with world-class vendors.
- To help simplify the complex, partners can use the Tech Data Cyber Range as a solution center to test and engage with the many offerings from our trusted vendor community.
- Engage in opportunities to develop specific knowledge, skills, and abilities through hands-on experience
- Tech Data Cyber Range provides an environment for technical individuals to learn, test, fail and access cyber threats in a safe place and learn how crucial it is for companies to invest in cyber defense.
- Tech Data offers vendors and partners and interactive environment to host customer meetings allowing for product demonstration, presentation and interactive learning.
The Tech Data Cyber Range offers valuable benefits to several audiences, including our vendors, partners and the end-user community.
- Vendors can showcase their solutions as well as host engagement opportunities in the Tech Data Cyber Range in order to build their market share.
- Partners can leverage the Tech Data Cyber Range to test and demonstrate the technology to their customers, as well as to gain the skills necessary to design holistic cybersecurity solutions and services to mitigate the most advanced cyber threats.
- Partners can also host or attend training programs, which may include workshops, seminars or other certification courses.
- The end-user community will be able to take training courses and cybersecurity awareness experiences through their partners at the Tech Data Cyber Range location or remotely via a cloud-based platform.
Cybersecurity Ventures is predicting that there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity positions by 2021. Tech Data is at the center of the IT ecosystem and can play a key role in helping to address this critical problem. The range also supports helping our channel partners capture a significant share of the approximate $25B total cybersecurity market opportunity that is projected to be available in North America by 2023.
As a global company, Tech Data believes it is our responsibility to assist in solving the global cybersecurity skills shortage by leveraging our scale and reach to train our large partner community. This training happens in a number of ways.
Tech Data believes the best cyber talent within an organization is a skilled professional, who not only understands the business operations and how cybersecurity fits into the greater needs of the organization, but also knows how to articulate that well. The Tech Data Cyber Range helps address the cyber skills shortage by providing an immersive learning environment to help continually train and educate technical teams to assess and improve their ability to prevent, detect, and respond to cyber attacks.
There are many ways to participate in the Tech Data Cyber Range. Channel partners and their customers are always welcome to visit but it is recommended to check our events calendar to ensure another event isn’t planned. Additionally, if you wish to schedule a customer-focused event in the room, please submit a request via the website or email email@example.com. Finally, you may sign up for various courses from our website, both free and fee-based.
How is the Tech Data Cyber Range different than those offered by large technology providers like Cisco and IBM?
Tech Data is the first distributor to deliver a cyber range for use by the channel. What sets Tech Data apart is the hands-on nature of the education our attendees receive, which helps them gain high competency quickly while also providing practical skills they can immediately use in the workforce. The immersive nature of the Tech Data Cyber Range also fosters a fundamentally deeper understanding of the “why” of cybersecurity.
Unlike a traditional computer lab or solution center, the Tech Data Cyber Range is an immersive environment that incorporates a realistic operational setting for our attendees to develop/hone their skills.
As a commercial cyber range, our mission focuses on three specific areas:
- Train our partners and their customers in cybersecurity skills
- Demonstrate and leverage our vendor technologies to create, replicate and quickly repeat specific network or operating environments to provide realistic hands-on training for our customers
- Engage the channel through an interactive, state-of-the-art learning facility
Finally, Tech Data is partnering with the National Cyber Warfare Foundation, a non-profit in the Phoenix area, to leverage some of their technology and software to provide several of our Cyber Range services such as public access into the virtual training environment.
The Tech Data Cyber Range team is composed of 5 dedicated resources and technology experts from around the business. Our Cyber Range professionals will coordinate participation from many vendor-aligned technology experts who will support demonstrations and training.
At this time Tech Data has built a single Cyber Range for North Americas at our Phoenix headquarters location. Tech Data has also partnered with Information Security Hub (ISH), who provides security for the Munich airport, to help Tech Data customers develop new cybersecurity technical skills and practice them in simulated attacks. Based on the response from the channel and the use of these ranges, Tech Data will evaluate future options for more Cyber Ranges at that time.
Cloud Range Training
As long as you have internet access, you can participate in private or public training sessions from any computer with internet access through a private network.
A training session usually lasts from 3 to 6 hours. Custom scenarios can be designed to be longer.
Up to 20 people from your team can log into a live private session.
Cloud Range delivers both on-premise and remote training.
Cloud Range also offers public facing virtual instructor-led training sessions, but FlexRange is private training sessions just for your team.
Tech Data does not impose an age limit to visit the Cyber Range. However, the Cyber Range is located in a corporate office building so please use discretion with respectful behavior.
Since the Cyber Range is located inside of the Tech Data Corporate offices, we ask for visitors to be respectful in what you wear. Shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts are allowed on the weekends, but during the week we ask that men wear pants and a polo or button-down shirt. We ask that women wear modest clothes appropriate for a casual business environment.
You may visit the Tech Data Cyber Range at our Phoenix based Tech Data office located at 8700 S Price Rd, Tempe, AZ 85234
Upon arrival, enter through the main lobby at the front of the building and the receptionist will direct you to the Cyber Range, which is located through the glass doors on the right side of the receptionist desk and to the right.
Tech Data Training
The Tech Data Cyber Range offers multiple forms of training courses designed for both individuals new to cybersecurity and those more advanced. These courses are available both on-site at the Cyber Range facility and remotely via cloud delivered training methods.
- Online Training: For new students of cybersecurity, Tech Data has partnered with Cybrary to provide an extensive set of courses available free of charge. Learn anytime, anywhere from subject matter experts, industry professionals, and thought-leading companies. Earn certificates, CEU/CPEs, and engage with a community of almost 2.2 million professionals around the world. Participants can select a curriculum designed to further their skills in the following career fields:
- Network Engineer
- SOC Analytics
- Penetration Tester
- Cybersecurity Engineer
- Classroom Training: For students who would prefer a classroom-style learning experience at an accelerated pace, Tech Data offers over 25 cybersecurity courses to prepare students for careers as SOC analysts or advanced cybersecurity engineers. These courses are offered through a partnership with Cloud Range. For more information, please refer to our training website.
- Cyber Range Training: The essence of the Cyber Range is a set of virtual servers which allow guests to login remotely and interact with Linux servers in a capture-the-flag experience. For more information about how to access the Cyber Range, check out the online instructions.
Kali Linux is a Linux distribution that contains many hacker tools already installed and ready to use in a server image format that you can install in a virtual machine or on a physical device like a laptop or Raspberry Pi.
Tech Data has developed documentation which will help you with the procedure to obtain and install Kali Linux if you don’t already have access to it.
You may access the Cyber Range remotely by visiting our online instructions.
The first thing to do is to clear your web browser cache as it is possible that you have a stale connection if you have connected to the Range in the past. You may also try closing your web browser and reopening it or trying a different web browser.
Its possible that the Cyber Range is down for maintenance in which case you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to report the issue.
You can register for a free account at Cybrary to access their huge on-demand video training library. If you are an individual or business and wish to upgrade to the Cybrary Insider Pro subscription service to manage Team training and view analytics about their knowledge learning or skills assessment, Tech Data offers a discount code for the upgrade. Please see a Tech Data Cyber Range staff member or email email@example.com for more information.
Classes are mostly on-demand and the length varies depending on the class you are taking.
Tech Data offers many different types of security services to our partners through the Cyber Range. These services are delivered by our Cyber Range Engineering team and may include…
- Incident Response Experience
- Attacker’s Insight
- Attack Simulations
- Penetration Testing
- Vulnerability Assessments
- Security product installation services
For more detail about our security services, please see our services website.
Tech Data currently offers over 10 cybersecurity incident response exercises that replicate a variety of real-world threats that customers may face. All of our exercises are in a continuous improvement process (CIP) based on the ever-changing nature of cybersecurity threats facing our supply chain and customers. All exercises are designed bases on active and real-time threat intelligence from our Information Sharing and Analysis Organization known commercially as ISAO Threat Feed.